to the parish church of
We are pleased to announce Reverend Andrew Stott as Priest in Charge for St Philip's and St John & St James
Please pray for him and his wife Helen
St Philip's began its worshipping life 1859 in a rented room above the stables of the 'Litherland Hotel', now the 'Priory' (sadly this has now been demolished). When it outgrew its premises, a group of local business men got together to provide the vision and finances to create the present Church.
The Earl of Sefton (Philip) generously donated the land and laid the foundation stone on the 25th September 1861. The sandstone used was taken from a local quarry which the architect, Mr Gee, used with great expertise to build this beautiful Gothic style building within its own extensive grounds.
After its completion and in gratitude it was named St Philip, Orrell Hey, Litherland after Philip Earl of Sefton and dedicated to St Philip the disciple. It was officially opened by Rector Duffield in 1863 and consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Chester in the following year on the 9th August 1864. Due to the ever-growing populace, the North and South Transepts were lengthened (1868-69) to accommodate another 260 seats bringing the overall seating capacity to 680.
Today, the congregation enjoys both modern and traditional worship reaching old and young alike.
Enjoy your visit!